Image Map

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Octapus's Garden Picture Book Find

Those who know me know that I LOOOOVE kids books, especially ones that are rhythmic and have implications for the music classroom, but most especially ones that coordinate with songs, be it folk, classical, or pop.

I just discovered a book I had never seen before, and I'm in love.  I end every single first grade class all year with a song tale picture book, to have them listening and to make sure they settle down before they leave the music room.  This one is my newest purchase and I can't wait to share it with the kids.  I know they will love it and ask to hear it again. 

Octapus's Garden (ISBN 9781471120077) is based off of the popular Beatles' tune.  I found it on Ebay and Amazon as well as several other smaller book distributor's websites. 


No matter what your stance is on popular music, I think it is important to teach our students to listen to music from multiple genres and to critique and evaluate all types of music.  They are the future music consumers of the world.  They need to learn to choose wisely.

Happy singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment