Image Map

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Down Down Yellow and Brown

With fall rapidly approaching, I've been thinking ahead to what my students will be doing in October.  Since first grade will soon be learning ta and ti ti (quarter and eighth notes), I will be working with the famous "Down Down Yellow and Brown" poem.  After performing the poem, I have the students dictate the rhythm of the color of leaf word chains, helping them to associate language and rhythm.  We then chant the poem, chant a four beat color word chain, chant the poem, chant the word chain, etc.  Then, each leaf color can be performed by a different unpitched percussion instrument.  First graders feel like champions because I make a big deal about them writing down music for the first time!


Hope your kids enjoy writing fall leaf colors!
Download this activity here!

No comments:

Post a Comment