Image Map

Monday, January 28, 2013

Valentine's Day Preparations

As February looms, I once again realized last week that I need to start mixing in some Valentine's Day Songs and Activities.  Today, I started one of my favorite Valentine's Day activities (and Valentine's Day isn't a holiday I do up too much).  Each year, I treasure hearing my second graders learn to sing the song, "I Love You, a Bushel and a Peck."  They just LOOOOVE it and the final product is so sweet. 

I start out introducing the song by asking them who they might love in a way that is not mushy gushy love.  We talk about parents, grandparents, friends, family, and teachers.  Then, I share with them this cool picture book rendition of the song.  During the first class, we learn the "doodle oodle oodle" part, and add jazz hands on this section to follow the contour of the melody for that part.  Over the next few class periods we learn the verses and chorus for the entire song.  We also listen to recordings of the song by Dan Zanes, adding movement.  I always encourage my kids to sing this song to someone important in their lives to make their Valentine's Day special.


No comments:

Post a Comment