Image Map

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Another Fun Children's Literature and Music Picture Book Connection

I've been loving coming back to some classic children's literature to bring it to life in my music classroom.  Since I just love stories, adding stories and music gets me super excited.

This newest set uses one of my favorite early literacy books, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie."  Using half note, quarter note, quarter rests, and eighth notes, this set adds four beat rhythm phrases after each "demand" of the mouse.  Students can read and perform the phrases on text only or using rhythm syllables after performing the text.
Each page has a four beat ostinato that has text correlating to the mouse's most recent demand.  These patterns can also be transferred to unpitched percussion or a xylophone set in pentatonic.


Happy "Kid-Litting!"

No comments:

Post a Comment