Image Map

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bump Up Tomato Syncopation Game



With my fourth grade students, I've been working to really have them experience, understand, identify, and label syncopation.  I've been focusing more on it than I have in the past, because I want them to have a deeper understanding, which they can use in their performances.

I came across the folk song "Bump Up Tomato," which I had not known before.  The kids love the catchy melody/speech.

I love how this teacher instructs the game.  My kids LOOOOOVE the ending when they get to try to make one of their classmates laugh.  They think it's the best thing ever!

Hope you can use this video as a resource for teaching this great syncopated game!

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen Bump of Tomato. Thanks for posting this super cool video! I can't wait to try it with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. what are the actual lyrics to this tune?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bump up tomato. I love the weather. Bring back my heart to me. And every minute, minute, minute my heart goes criss-cross, tomato sauce. Criss-cross, my heart is lost. Bump up tomato, bump up tomato, freeze.

    ReplyDelete