Image Map

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Collaborating with Carle

Hi All!  Sorry for the lack of posts lately.  I've had a student teacher and haven't been teaching as much.  It's amazing how the kids inspire ideas.  When I'm not directly working with my kids and the standards, my creative juices aren't always flowing as well.

This cycle and next cycle (at least) we are doing a creative partnership across three enrichment areas: Music, Library, and Art.  It's pretty cool how it's all worked out so I thought I'd share with my blog world friends.

I have been working on some Eric Carle cross curricular lessons for my first grade students.  While talking with the art teacher, we realized that as part of her curriculum, she was teaching a lesson on Eric Carle's illustration art work to teach wet on wet watercolor technique.  We decided to partner together to make these things happen at the same time.  Then, we pulled in the librarian, who pulled out every Eric Carle book that has ever been published to decorate the library, and be the focus of an author study for her lessons this week.

So, within the last four days, the kids have learned about Eric Carle as an author and illustrator in library, painted wet on wet water color paper to create the wings of a paper butterfly they are going to create, and they have added rhythm add on patterns to The Very Hungry Caterpillar. 


Next cycle, they will learn more about Eric's books in library, finish their butterfly in art (and we will then photograph the butterfly on white paper) and they will add instruments to their Caterpillar performance.

As a culmination of this, the following week, I will take the photographs of their art work that I will take and print the butterfly's out.  The students will then draw a pathway for the butterfly to fly.  We will turn this into a book, and will use it as a vocal exploration warm up.

I just love when we can all work together for the good of kids.  I love it even more when these collaborations happen naturally, easily, or even coincidentally! 

Don't want to use the Hungry Caterpillar?  Check out my other Eric Carle music and literature sets instead!
Does Kangaroo Have a Mother Too?
Polar Bear, Polar Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment